Configuration for a manned Mars mission (Project Deimos).
- Six man Mars landing capsule;
- Pressurized tunnel;
- Toroidal living compartment;
- Liquid hydrogen tanks (8);
- Spherical liquid oxygen tank
- Booster centerbody.
Project Deimos – Mars Landing Module
- Earth-return capsule;
- Command centre and pressurized tunnel;
- Separation joint, for return to Mars orbit;
- Mars landing propellant tanks(6);
- Ground access hatch;
- Mars-launch platform;
- Payload and power supply equipment compartment;
- Mars-launch propellant tank;
- Landing and take-off rocket motor;
- Jettisonable closure panel;
- Mars-entry heat shield;
- Extensible landing gear(4);
- Altitude-control system quads (4).
Text from Frontiers of Space by Philip Bono & Kenneth Gatland, 1969
Image credit: Douglas
Image source: Numbers Station